Oct 23, 2009

A Day Off

I know that a torn ACL should not be a cause for celebration. But when it is my attending's wife having surgery and I get an unexpected day off because of it, its hard not to root for the injured knee. Today was busy- I got to do all the things that usually have to happen during business hours that I am normally not home for.
  • I had a plumber come fix the leaky toilet
  • I took the pets to the vet for shots, checkups, medicine, and wing clipping
  • I paid the water bill in person and got a stamped receipt (rather than my usual routine of poking it through the crack in the door)
  • I did enough grocery shopping to sustain us through a lengthy famine, which is probably how long it will be before I can go shopping again
  • I mopped
  • I made chicken, black bean and rice enchiladas in happy preparation for my sister's visit this weekend
  • I actually washed my clothes instead of just buying a new pack of underwear
  • I studied (like every day)
I thought being a medical student would preclude any fun and extra time I might have. And to some extent that is true. I don't notice it really until I am around a friend who has a job, has friends, has places to go and money to spend. And then its a little lonely when I need to stay in and study. However, this is actually better than I had expected. I can still cook nice dinners for my husband, pack him a lunch, and visit with my sister. I can work out and work on my house and still be a good student. It gives me hope someday that my practice as a doctor will not consume my life; that I will have time for my husband and children. I want to be able to be a good mother and a good doctor. I think it also depends on the professional choices you make. What specialty you choose. Yes, I've chosen to make medicine my life, and nothing else would be right for me. But I also want other things in my life, and hope that it only gets more balanced from here.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! What a beautiful post. I am so happy for you. Love love love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it will get better. I keep telling myself that anyway ;) Glad you enjoyed your day off!

    ReplyDelete